Personal and Family Information
Married to Heather Babbott RN
Coconino County Board of Supervisors 2012-present
Flagstaff City Council 2002-2006, 2008-2010
BA, Political Science, Amherst College, Amherst, MA.
MA, Urban Affairs and Public Policy, University of Delaware, Newark, DE.
Small Business Ownership
- Flagstaff Community Markets, LLC, Flagstaff, Arizona 2000-present
Owned and operated mission driven farm to market public market. Market mission is to support and expand the number of small and medium sized independent growers and producers in northern Arizona.
- Orpheum Theater, Flagstaff, Arizona 2002-2010
Restored, reopened and operated historic Orpheum Theater, northern Arizona’s largest private sector performing arts venue.
Accomplishments and Initiatives
Education & Workforce Development
Advocate for County funding of early childhood education, quality child care, and after-school programming for working families. Support one-stop point of entry for hiring, job training, and career retooling.
Government Transparency & Accessibility
Ensure county government is accessible, transparent, and invites citizen participation through recording and streaming Board of Supervisor meetings to Coconino County.
Support competition, diversity and inclusion of all voices in the political process, and co-chaired with Republicans, Democrats and Independents the “Open and Honest Elections” initiative in 2015.
Small Business Support & Economic Development
Empower entrepreneurs and small business through the “Dollars for Dreams” revolving micro-loan program. This innovative program provides $5000 loans to those unable to secure conventional credit and has loaned in excess $140,000 for independent start-up businesses and expansions.
Recognize that catastrophic wildfire is the most important public health and safety issue facing our forested rural communities. Significantly increased engagement and investments around regional forest restoration initiatives. Increase the pace of forest restoration across northern Arizona through industry partnerships, advocacy with Gila and Navajo County at the state and federal level and push for common sense Forest Service.
Transportation & Traffic
Commit to long-term strategies to manage transportation challenges across northern Arizona. Convened and co-directed the “Grappling with Gridlock” forum, bringing together ADOT, land management agencies, law enforcement, local governments and citizens to develop effective strategies for managing peak corridor congestion. Led voter-approved transportation initiative with 64% support to fund the maintenance of Coconino County roads.
Protect Military Missions
Safeguard Camp Navajo and the US Naval Observatory by participating in the Joint Land Use Study (JLUS) task force, and submitting Department of Defense application to protect military missions. Secured approximately $540,000 from DoD for long term planning and potential acquisition of land in proximity to northern Arizona military installations.
Agriculture & Food Security
Initiated and implemented regulatory revisions to significantly expand agricultural production, processing, sales, and distribution throughout northern Arizona.
Public Lands & Recreation
Partner with a broad range of state hunting and fishing organizations to advocate for public lands access, and to defend public lands against state-initiated takeover efforts. Advocate at the State and Federal level for public lands being managed with local input for should be managed for multiple use o
Lead County legislative efforts to prevent expansion of uranium mining in greater Grand Canyon and proactively protect hydrological resources.
Community Health Initiatives
Leadership role in the “Stronger as One” community initiative around mental health, substance abuse, and suicide prevention and education.
Advocate for criminal justice and "Smart Justice" reform initiatives. Utilize Recovery Court, Mental Health Court and Juvenile Restorative Justice to bring strategic mental health outcomes and improve community well being.
Boards, Commissions and Affiliations
- Four Forest Restoration Initiative (4FRI), current Co-chair
- Economic Collaborative of Northern Arizona (ECONA)
- Joint Land Use Study for Camp Navajo and US Naval Observatory
- Northern Arizona Council of Governments (NACOG), Economic Development Committee
- Flagstaff Arts Council Board of Directors
- Flagstaff Metropolitan Planning Organization (FMPO), current Chair
- Northern Arizona Intergovernmental Public Transportation Authority (NAIPTA), past Chair
- Sustainable Economic Development Initiative (SEDI)
- Coconino Plateau Water Advisory Council, past Co-chair
- Coconino County Public Health Services, past District Board Member
- Flagstaff Water Commission
- Fit Kids of Northern Arizona Board Member
- Flagstaff Foodlink Board of Directors
- Community Housing Task Force
- Flagstaff Housing Authority
- Coconino County Planning and Zoning Commission
- Southwest Renewable Energy Fair, past Co-chair
- Flagstaff Independent Business Alliance
- Local First Arizonamember